Sunday, May 1

My Camera



Hi friends. So I thought people might be interested in what camera equipment I have, and what classes I've taken and stuff. No? I apologize for telling you anyway then! So in 2008 I bought a Canon 40D (an older version of the 60D) and a 17-55mm f2.8 lens. I didn't know one thing about cameras, but I did a ton of research and was lucky enough in hindsight to have made a good choice! 

Then, I hated my camera for a solid year. It stayed on auto, and my pictures were either ho-hum or just downright crappy! I finally was recommended a photography class by my wicked awesome friend Krystie. Best.thing.I.ever.did!!! It was Karen Russell's class. Seriously people, if you own a DSLR, TAKE A CLASS! Go directly to your computer right now and sign up for one, do not pass go, and do not collect $200! :) 
You won't regret it. Why make it harder on yourself and try and be self-taught? Who has the time for that??? Where's the pride in making things TEN TIMES harder for yourself? I mean, there are totally self-taught people who are so awesome at photography and didn't need someone to teach them....but that wasn't me!!! 

I mean, at the VERY least, read up on PW's site. Read everything under the photography tab, and then read your manual...and practise practise practise!!! That would work too...just would take a bit longer, but it would be free! :) And if you haven't bought a DSLR yet, then you should! Especially anyone who hasn't started their family yet...because once those kiddos come along, everything just sort of gets TEN times harder all at once! 

Anyway, during Karen's class, I bought the 50mm f1.4. I'm still on the fence over which lens is my favourite! It changes...and honestly, I think it's inevitable to always want to try out other lenses and cameras and such and constantly think about upgrading...it just sort of comes with the territory, but ya' gotta' start somewhere! Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated as my equipment changes! Or maybe it's just me that's always interested in what someone's shooting with... 

Another great online class is Maggie Holmes', and I don't know anyone who has taken Nicole Hill's, but I bet hers is great too. I know there's another one I am missing. Really, it will be the best thing you ever did!! You all ready bought the camera (and if you haven't, you should!), so what are you waiting for? :)

So that's prob enough info for now. Maybe I'll add a gadget or something on my sidebar so I can easily update stuff there...and please don't take this post as me thinking I'm this awesome photographer person who everyone should be taking advice from! Lol! Seriously, most days I want to bang my head against a wall I get so frustrated with trying to get better at taking pictures (don't say I didn't warn you)...but when the planets align and I happen to get the odd picture right, it's sure a great feeling! 

And now for your promised pictures! I'm officially out of new pictures to post. Guess I'll just have to take some more!!

I risked waking my baby at naptime for a shot of his eyelashes closed. I think it was worth it! :)
I reeeallly hope ya'll aren't sick of seeing Baker's baby blues yet, because I'm pretty sure I will never get sick of taking pictures of them!
Boston is at the best stage right now. That hilarious chubby-toddler learning-to-talk stage, and it's the best thing ever!! 

Oh, and one last thing, I get asked now and then if I take pictures for other people too, and the short answer is yes! The longer answer is I just like to do it on the side now and then, I've been averaging about one shoot per month, and that's been great. Enough to keep me on my toes and allows me to try out new ideas I have, but not too much that it takes away from my family. I plan to start sharing some of the shoots on here at some point. Email me if you are interested!

3 comments:

  1. You take amazing pictures pam!! and your have amazingly cute boys! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! What is really funny is that I was actually wondering to myself what type of camera you use. This was after looking through all my pics of Ali and being super disappointed at how my point and shoot sucks in low light conditions. I love all of your pics and I want an new camera really soon!! I have been looking at the new Sony Nex5 because it is smaller and I can keep it in my purse at all times. Since it is new I am hoping they come out with a new one this fall so I don't have to buy the first edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh pammy....im glad im your wicked awesome friend!! I feel really special that you mentioned me on your blog!! lets hang out again before one of us has another kid....ha

    ReplyDelete

Let's make Thumper proud!